God Heard My Prayer (Sep-Oct 2002)

By Matt Dabbs

By Ted Ary
September-October 2002

I closed the treatment room door of my urologist’s office and knelt on my knees. I prayed to God that the exam would be normal and that I could go home, but I had my doubts. A month earlier, I had been standing above a crispy white porcelain commode in the Atlanta Airport prior to a Bahamas vacation. Life was good.

My reservations at the opulent Atlantis awaited me.

I went to the rest room at the airport. Out in my urine came some type of foreign matter. I was fortunate to see it in the commode, a sparkling clean commode, I might add. My old days as an orderly in Searcy had me straining patient’s urine for kidney stones, so I debated momentarily, but thrust my bare hand into the commode to see what it was. It was tissue, I was stunned. After scrubbing what seemed like most of the epidermis off my hands at the sink, I returned to the concourse afraid to tell my wife, Cindy.

Upon my return from vacation, I had made the appointment. The urologist said the “tissue story” was disturbing but since I was a 48-year-old non smoker the chance of having a tumor was remote. Now he would look and see. I went through the procedure and waited in his office. Then the news, “you have a bladder tumor with 95 percent chance of malignancy due to the appearance, prognosis depends on staging by the pathologist.”

I reviewed the consent for removal. Surprisingly my wife came into the room. I had told her not to bother coming, she was at school and was told “inaudibly” that she needed to go straight to my appointment.

I told her the news and we left the office.

I was pre-certified at the hospital for surgery to be performed 3 days later and was home by 6 pm. I went into my 13-year-old daughter’s room and knelt privately by the bed. I prayed to God for a miracle to let the daughter that I had baptized three months earlier have a father until adulthood. I then went into my 16-year-old daughter’s room and prayed the same prayer.

I knelt in prayer with a minister, Jerry, within two hours. He prayed that the tissue in the urine had been a sign from God to force me to a doctor. I called two sets of elders and knelt in the living room with my wife, Bob, Jim and their wives by 9 pm. The Fax of Life came in on the internet and I emailed a prayer request.

That night, I left the house for my nightly run and prayed while running. At one point I was looking at the sky and begging God with my request. I cannot bargain with God, he has all the power, but I can praise him, ask for his will, and beg for a miracle. At that moment, as my tear stained face looked upward, something strange happened. I had a 3 second “poker hot” burn in my abdomen. It was so hot that if it had continued, I would have fallen. It left as soon as it came and I returned home shaken. I told my wife upon my return, “I don’t know what happened, I could have been healed.”

The next night, the second set of elders, Bob and John, came to my home and knelt and prayed. On Wednesday night, my wife and I knelt in front of the church and prayed with James and other elders and the congregation. As word went around the community, I received numerous prayer responses, and one included an “oil-anointing” in my absence at a church fifty miles away. At the time, I did not understand what this was exactly but was so grateful that others could pray for me.

I had the surgery with a peace in my heart that was unexplainable. One of my uncles, a minister, said he had not seen so many people at the hospital other than at a wake! I laughed.

I knew God would help me through whatever lay ahead. It would now be 3 days before the pathology report was back. I went to my office on Sunday afternoon. I was prompted to go the hospital with thoughts that I could have an answer. I used my staff entry card and went into the mail room/lounge area. No one was there, I really expected God to have someone there waiting for me in light of previous events.

As I was reaching for my mail, I saw another mailbox nearby…A thought hit me, you don’t suppose my pathology report could be there. I reached my hand into the box and there it was. My hand shook as I read it, “malignant, removed in total, no invasion of tissues.” I went back to my office and knelt and prayed. I must be examined every three months, but it was stage one, no invasion, no treatment needed.

My life is forever changed. I desire God’s will. Money no longer has the appeal it once had. My job and my family are his and my life is his. I pray with zeal for continued faith. An application for Harding University Graduate School lies on my desk. I feel led to take some courses but don’t know how since I live hundreds of miles from there. I know what it means to “pray without ceasing.”

I know what it is to have the armor of God. Was I healed by God while jogging? Was the tissue a sign from God to get me to see a doctor? I don’t have the answers to those questions. But, I do know one thing. I know God and I know that God knows me.

The angel of the Lord encamps around those who fear him, and he delivers them. Psalm 34:7

Contact Ted at 1footdoc@bellsouth.net

categoria commentoNo Comments dataFebruary 11th, 2014
Read All


This author published 1598 posts in this site.
Matt is the preaching minister at the Auburn Church of Christ in Auburn, Alabama. He and Missy have been married 12 years and are raising two wonderful boys, Jonah and Elijah. Matt is passionate about reaching and discipling young adults, small groups, and teaching. Matt is currently the editor and co-owner of Wineskins.org.


FacebookTwitterEmailWindows LiveTechnoratiDeliciousDiggStumbleponMyspaceLikedin

Leave a comment